Sunday, April 15, 2007

Music list: Part One



"Why isn't she famous?" she asked.
"She is," he answered.

I overheard this conversation at a house concert I attended a few weeks ago. The subject of the conversation was Beth Wood a singer/songwriter from Arlington, TX who makes her living doing what she loves. You have most likely never heard her music on commercial radio. You hear Beth and others like her on public and community radio stations, in coffee houses, at festivals and in peoples living rooms. And yes, they are famous in certain circles. Some of them do go on to "the big time". Michelle Shocked comes to mind. I first heard her around a camp fire at a festival. Most of them travel the country and the world going from gig to gig. Some are financially successful while others eek out a living. Some of them play music full time while others have 'day jobs'. They are all passionate about their music and the passion shines through. Here are some of my favorites. Most of them have their own websites and their music may be available on I-tunes.


Stephen Taylor- While my favorite of his songs has to be 500 Miles, I never tire of his voice, his guitar sound, or his lyrics.


Lowry Olafson - My favorite song, Blanket in the Cold. His voice and his melody lines are incredible. I listen to him a lot.

David Lamotte - Hard to pick a favorite song but I like Flying and Corners an awful lot. The first song I remember hearing him sing was Bicycle Man. I have watched him go from a good writer and performer to a great one over the past few years.

Tom Kimmel - I like See Myself in You and Poetic Justice. These are both co-writes so that brings me to

Tom Prasado-Rao - Ella's Angel and Reishi's Garden among others

and

Buddy Mondlock - The Kid and Amsterdam


Chuck Brodsky - Again, it's hard to pick favorites. You might have heard We Are Each Other's Angels somewhere. It has been recorded by a lot of other people. Al's Ashes and Me (you had to know Al to really get this one). That brings me to the late

Al Grierson - Al was a real jewel and I miss him all the time. Things That Never Added Up to Me and Resurrection may be his best work.

Caroline Aiken - She was nominated for a Grammy last year and has played with Bonnie Raitt. If there is best guitar player on the planet, she may be it. My favorite song of hers is Left Wet. No one else would have thought of this song. You have to hear it to believe it.

Annie Gallup- Annie's style of writing, delivery and guitar is unique to her. I have no one to whom I can compare her. Flood and Max are two of my favs.

Jack Williams - He stays on the road more than anyone I have ever heard of, so if you like him, he should not be hard to go a out and hear if you are patient. He is one of the few players that I can put in the same category as Caroline Aiken. In fact, they have been known do shows together. I love all of his stuff and cannot pick a favorite but In a Texas Sky will crack you up even if you did not know Al. I am not sure that Jack and Chuck are allowed to room together any more at any music conferences.

Steve Fisher- His voice energizes me. His lyrics engage me. He doesn't get out and perform very often and I really miss that. He is writing and recording again so we really have something to look forward to. I love Past Comes to Call, That's My Toy, and Cheap Hotel, but it is hard to really say they are my favorites since I am so touched by all of his work and he has been a huge influence in my life.


That's a baker's dozen plus Beth and Michelle. They are in no particular order except that I did put my 'favoritest' favorite first. Hope you find something that moves you. I welcome your comments and suggestions of good listening material.

No comments: